1) What is "DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE"?
"DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE" is a SELF DEFENSE SPRAY (Aerosol), containing extracts Capsaicin which is an extract from from Red Chilli.
2) How effective is "DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE"/ what are the effects?
When sprayed with DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE, the immediate effect is of severe burning sensation in the eyes (thus shutting them), apart from this the liquid also penetrates the skin pores & creates a burning sensation from within, also the spray causes very heavy irritation in the Mucus membrane inside the nasal cavity, the over all effect of these factors renders the person completely helpless & in very high degree of pain & burning.
3) How long does it take to effect the inflicted person?
The effect is instantaneous and occurs as soon as the spray comes in contact with the persons face .
4) How long do the effects last?
For the complete effects to wear off takes up to 2- 3 hrs, however the maximum effect is for 30 - 45 minutes when the person is completely helpless & in a very high degree of pain & discomfort.
5) Does the spray have any permanent effects?
"DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE" has no known permanent effects, the initial 30- 45 minutes of high discomfort & pain is the only effect, which wears off gradually.
6) Is this an "ARM"?
Yes, "DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE" is an "weapon". ----Under the "ARMS" act, anything made or designed for the specific purpose of Defense or Offence & machinery used to manufacture the same fall under the category of Arms and Weapons, by this definition even a wooden pole made for the reason of attacking or defending is an Arm or a Weapon, however if the same is used for a peaceful purpose it is not labeled as an "Arm or Weapon".
7) Is a license required to carry this on person?
Under The Arms Act ,1959 license is required only for "Fire Arms"(containing gun powder & explosive ingredients), hence no license is required for "DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE"
8) Is it difficult to operate?
"DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE" has been specifically designed keeping in mind that this is going to be used when the person is under attack & probably one of the hands is already busy in holding off the attacker, hence DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE has been designed for simple & single hand operation like any other aerosol.
9) Does one need to target practice to use this effectively?
All a person needs to do is, aim in the general direction of the face of the attacker & press down the nozzle. This is as easy to use as a "CAN" of room freshener or perfume spray
10) Is usage of this product permissible under the law?
The Law permits self defense.
11) In case of accidental contact/ discharge, what is the remedy?
In case of accidental contact or discharge, do not rub the area of contact. As this will only aggravate the situation, the only remedy for this is to flush with running water, effects wear off after some time.
12) In a nutshell, how strong is "DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE"?
Strength or hotness of chilli is measured scientifically by a measure of Scoville Units . The kitchen chilli is measures about 60,000-100,000 Scoville units in comparison to capsaicin concentrate which has a reading of 6 Million Scoville Units . Therefore "DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE" is at least 60-100 times stronger than the chili powder used in the kitchen.
13) What is the range of "DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE" spray?
"DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE” has been designed to emit / discharge a "cloud pattern” spray effective up to 6-8 ft .
14) How much should one spray on an individual?
Usually a half second burst is enough, however if the suspect is under the influence of DRUGS or ALCOHOL (which increase the resistance to pain) keep the nozzle pressed down, till the desired effect is achieved.
15) How long does "DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE" last, when fired continuously?
"DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE" have a high emission rate and the can empties in 15 seconds when fired continuously (usually a half second burst is enough to put down an individual).
- Do not use DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE unless absolutely necessary.
- DFEND SPRAY & ESCAPE is a self defense device to be used only in the required situation
- In case of accidental release wash affected area with plenty of water and do not touch or rub your eyes as it will worsen the irritation.
- All products are sufficiently tested , however as an additional measure do test the device in a open area with no one around like a terrace or an empty field.